The sole threat to one’s feeling of puppy glee can be the arduous task of housebreaking your new pal. Here are some ideas for a smooth experience:
1. Keep in mind that most puppies can’t “hold it” for more than a few hours and plan your day accordingly.
2. Proper crate training will help your pooch not to “go” in her “bedroom.”
3. When an accident occurs, be sure to eliminate the odor instead of masking it. If your dog detects her scent, she will return to the scene of the crime!
4. Keep an eye on your new pup to learn how to detect an imminent potty.
5. Praise and a puppy treat for a job well done must be given immediately or your dog will miss the association between behavior and reward.